March 27, 2009

are we winning this battle?

Miles has had a hard time sleeping from about 3 weeks on. Mike and I have been in survival mode because this kid won't sleep. He has reflux, and I don't have a clue of what to do for him. We've been using Gripe water and that seems to help some, but nights usually go like this....work, work, work, to get him to fall asleep. Then he will sleep for one good 4-5 hour stretch. After that, its a crap shoot. He's probably up for a good 3 hours before falling into a light sleep again. The whole time he is up we are walking, rocking, bouncing, and doing our best to keep him from screaming.

Then yesterday I put him on his tummy and he slept for 3 hours in his crib in the afternoon. I wasn't getting excited because this poor boy was so overtired. I figured he may have just finally given into sleep. So then last night I put him on his stomach. He slept for 5.5 hours. Woke up, ate, fell right back to sleep and then slept for another 3 hours. Woke up, ate, fell right back to sleep and slept another 2.5 hours!!

So far today he has taken 2 naps in his crib, putting himself to sleep, on his tummy.

I think it works. And its a good thing he isn't my first baby because there is no way I would ignore the advice of never letting a baby sleep on his tummy. At this point we are doing what works, and this REALLY seems to be working.

I also have the angel care monitor and that helps some : )

Annie

3 comments:

  1. Girl, I would do it too. Survival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ELLY SLEPT ON HER STOMACH FROM 3 WEEKS!!!! I was the same way! (Ditto on first baby thing...) But when it works, go with it! Some babies are tummy sleepers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ELLY SLEPT ON HER TUMMY FROM 3 WEEKS!! I was the exact same way (ditto on the first baby thing...) But I am convinced that some babies are just tummy sleepers! If it works, we gotta go with it! :)

    ReplyDelete